Although many Americans enjoy laying out in the sun and achieving a golden tan, excessive and unprotected sun exposure can have several damaging effects on the skin. At Delta Laser and Skin Care Centre, we have several years of experience treating sun damage and brown spots as a result of prolonged sun exposure, creating refreshed, rejuvenated skin.
Located in Delta, British Columbia, Delta Laser and Skin Care Centre is led by Dr. Marcia Fleming and registered nurse Jennifer Sutherland. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and discover how our sun damage and brown spots treatments can help you regain confidence in your skin.
What Causes Sun Damage and Brown Spots?
The sun has two different types of ultraviolet rays, both of which are potentially damaging to skin that is unprotected:
- UVA rays can penetrate into the deeper dermis underneath the skin surface, damaging the essential collagen that keeps your skin firm and plump. This can result in the formation of wrinkles, sagging skin, and folds, and in some cases can alter DNA and lead to skin cancer.
- UVB rays can cause harm to the surface of the skin, creating brown spots, freckles, and sunburn. Prolonged, unprotected exposure to these rays can lead to a thickening of the skin as well as changes to skin tone and texture.
While almost everyone has freckles to some degree, it is important to take the necessary precautions to protect your skin in the sun in order to prevent further damage or more serious consequences.
How are Sun Damage and Brown Spots Treated?
At Delta Laser and Skin Care Centre, our treatments for sun damage and brown spots help clear the skin without causing further damage or requiring extensive healing time:
- When it comes to sun damage, protecting the skin from ultraviolet light is the best and first line of defense. Regularly applying a broad-spectrum sunscreen, such as in our Elta Sunscreen products, can help maintain the health and integrity of your skin.
- Light-based treatments such as IPL photofacial and photodynamic therapy harness the non-invasive power of light to penetrate to the deeper layers of skin and treat sun damage and brown spots at the source.
- Laser-based treatments such as Fraxel® use controlled pulses of laser energy that are emitted into the skin, bypassing the surface and gently heating underlying tissues, stimulating the skin’s ability to “heal” itself and generate fresh, new skin cells to help reduce the appearance of brown spots and heal damaged skin.
Contact Delta Laser and Skin Care Centre today to schedule a consultation with our medical team and find out how you can restore healthy, smooth skin to damaged areas with our safe and effective treatments.